Here at Odopod, the dev team meets weekly to talk about what's happening with technology around the web. Here's our top this week:
• Cool: Everything.
• Not cool: It won't be released as open source (hey the man needs to make money right?)
scene.nr - Eddie Abrams' HTML5 audio project.
• Cool: HTML5 Winamp port including Winamp skin loading.
• Not cool: It still relies on Flash to grab the raw audio data.
UI Thread Presentation - Nicholas C. Zakas' super interesting talk from the jQuery conference.
• Cool: Understanding the inner workings of the UI Thread allows us to be smarter about page loading as well as maximizing user perception of speed.
• Not cool: The UI thread is a linear queue of execution.
Web Workers - Defines an API for running scripts in the background independently of any user interface scripts.
• Not cool: Only Firefox 3.5 and Safari 4 currently support this.
Throughout the conference it was evident that talks and takeaways were more far reaching than the world of jQuery alone. This was not, by any means, a conference about pure evangelism. This approach, in my mind, made the conference even more of a success.